Tuesday, September 6, 2016

New Wood Oven Door Handle

Less then 10 years ago we bought a brand new stove.  It hasn't held up well.  

  1. First the infinity switch went out on the right front burner.  (The large one we used the most.) 
  2. Then the light bulb in the oven burned out.  
  3. Then the oven handle broke off.
  4. Then the lower oven element burned out.  (Flames.  Real flames!)
Well, George fixed the light bulb.  That's not a problem.  Then he replaced the infinity switch and the oven element.  (Those were relatively easy repairs.  Expensive, but easy.)

The handle...  I wouldn't let him buy another plastic handle.  The new handle costs $47.00 plus shipping and handling for a piece of plastic that just wouldn't last a year or two.  Even the screw holes aren't reinforced, now.  Not durable, by my humble estimation.  They just aren't made to last.  

I am so disappointed in this stove, that I actually looked for an older, used stove online to replace it.  I've never had problems like this with an older stove.  

Temporarily he put a couple of brass knobs on the oven door, so I could open and close it. 


Here's the brass knobs on the oven door...


Closer look.

At lease I could use the oven again!

Then he made me a wooden oven handle.  We figured out how to make one that would last, together.  It's not fancy, but it works!


The wooden handle works.  It's solid.  I like it.


George stained it the same color as the trim around our counters.
He wasn't sure how a wood handle would look, at first.  Now that
it's finished - he likes it, too.  He would have bought us a 
replacement handle, but they're just not sturdy.  
That's an exercise in futility.



No comments:

Post a Comment